Surface: 2,381,741 km²
Population: 40 400 000 (01.01.2016)
Capital city: Algiers ( 3 million inhabitants)
Administrative Divisions: 48 (more information)
System of Government: Republic
Economic System: Market Economy
President: Mr. Abdelaziz Bouteflika (read the president’s speech to the nation)
Prime Minister: Mr. Ahmed Ohyahia
The Parliament: bicameral
The Council of the Nation / Speaker: Mr. Abdelkader Bensalah
The National People’s Assembly / Speaker: Mr.Abdelaziz Ziari
The Council of Ministers is chaired by the President of the Republic
The Council of Government is chaired by the Head of Government
National day: Anniversary of the Revolution, November 1st (1954) (1st November 1954 Declaration)
National Anthem: “Kassaman” (“We Pledge”)
Constitution: last revision– February 7, 2016, issued March 7, 2016
Local Time: (unchanged throughout the year) is GMT+1
Electrical System: Appliances use 220V
Weights and Measures: The MKSA (Metre, Kilogram, Second, Ampere) system is used in Algeria
Official working days & hours
from Sunday through Thursday, 8:00 -16:30 (12:30-13:30 lunch break)
- New Year’s Day : January 1st (one day)
- Labor day : May 1st (one day)
- Independence Day : July 5th (one day)
- Anniversary of Revolutaion : November 1st (one day) – National Day
Religious holidays set on the basis of the lunar calendar of Islam
- Awal Mouharem (Islamic New Year / one day)
- Achoura (10th day of the lunar month of Mouharem / one day)
- Mouloud (12th day of the lunar month of Rabi-al-awal /one day)
- Eid-Al-Fitr (End of the month of Ramadan /two days)
- Eid-Al-Adha (Holiday of Sacrifice, 2months and 10 days after Eid-al-Fitr /two days)
Cost of Living
The following table compares the costs of some basic products in Algiers, Algeria and Sofia, Bulgaria.
|Product||Cost in Algiers||Cost in Sofia|
|Water 1.5 l||$0.68||$0.50|
|Meal for two (restaurant)||$16.65||$30.00|
|Taxi (5km within center)||$1.33||$2.70|
Basic Data and Basic infrastructure
Road network: 120.000 km, including 2,400 km of freeways and expressways.
Airports: 35, including 13 conforming to international standards.
Main seaports: 13 (Algiers, Annaba, Arzew, BejaÏa, Béni Saf, Dellys, Djendjen, Ghazaouet, Jijel, Mostaganem, Oran, Skikda, Ténès).
Railroad transportation: 4,500 km (200 operational commercial train stations).
Telecommunications:86 per 1000 habitants (2011)
Fiber optic cabling: 8000 km.
Number of telephone landlines: 86 per 1000 habitants (2011)
Mobile telephones: 1020 per 1000 inhabitants (2013)
Number of automobiles: 3.6 million units, 65% of which are private vehicles and 35% are considered utilitarian. The market is experiencing very strong growth to reduce the average age of vehicles on the road. 155,000 new vehicles were sold in 2006 and close to 200.000 in 2008.
Internet:18,09% en 2014.
Electricity: 95% of the territory has electricity, 97% of households are connected to the network.
Natural gas: 35% of households are connected to the natural gas distribution network.
- Population: 35,6 Mln. *
- Birth rate: 1.96%. *
- Fertility index: 2,68 (2015).
- New households: 250.000/year
- Life expectancy: 76,59 years (2015)
- Population -15 years : 28,75% (2015)
- Population over 64 years :5,35% (2015)
- Written press: 300 weekly or monthly publications. Approximately forty dailies. 1.5 million copies/per day.
- Color TVs: 8 million sets.
Education -Training Health
- Primary and secondary schooling: more than 8 million students.
- Higher education: more than 1.1 million students.
- Hospital infrastructure: 100.000 beds (13 university hospital centers).
- Medical coverage: 1,2 doctor per 1,000 inhabitants.